Invisalign therapy consists of a series of clear aligners or trays which are designed to move your teeth in small steps to the desired final position prescribed by your orthodontist. Each aligner is precisely calibrated and manufactured to fit your mouth at each stage of the treatment plan. This process takes anywhere from 12 weeks to 2 years to complete.
How Does Invisalign Work?
A licensed orthodontist with specific training in Invisalign must determine if it is an appropriate remedy for you. The orthodontist will send precise treatment instructions to Invisalign, who uses advanced computer technology to translate these instructions into a sequence of finely calibrated aligners. Each aligner is worn for about two weeks and only taken out to eat, brush and floss. As you replace each aligner with the next, your teeth will begin to move gradually — week-by-week until the final alignment prescribed is attained. Then you’ll be smiling like you never have before!
To ensure the best possible results, only an orthodontist who has been trained and certified by Align Technology can diagnose and treat using Invisalign. Dr. Pezoldt has taken extensive training with Align Technology and specialized in family orthodontics. Invisalign is not intended for young children and is not appropriate for every adult. Only an orthodontist can determine if this treatment is an effective option for you. The Invisalign cost can even be comparable to the braces cost in certain cases. To see if Invisalign can help you achieve the smile you’ve always wanted, contact us to make a no charge consultation appointment.
How To Get Started with Invisalign
1. Schedule a consultation with Pezoldt Orthodontics. During this examination, Dr. Pezoldt will determine if you are a good candidate.
2. Next, using 3D orthodontic imaging technology, scans of your teeth will be taken in Dr. Pezoldt’s office. The revolutionary iTero scanning system avoid goopy impressions. Scans will be sent directly to Invisalign!
3. The series of custom aligners are then manufactured from BPA-free plastic. As you wear your aligner, your teeth will start to move into place gradually.
4. About every 10 weeks you will start a new aligner set. Each new aligner moves your teeth closer towards the next step in your treatment. You will have check-up visits with Pezoldt Orthodontics about every six weeks so Dr. Pezoldt can monitor your progress. For best results, you will wear your aligners for about 22 hours a day.
5. Upon completion of your primary treatment, Dr. Pezoldt will create a custom Invisalign retainer for you to lock your new smile into place.
Keeping Your Invisalign Clean
Certain foods and drinks can stain the aligner, leading to a yellowing or cloudy appearance. One of the most common culprits is dark colored drinks. Tea, coffee, wine, and sodas stain the aligners the most. Plus, hot drinks tend to warp the trays into an incorrect position. Try to avoid these as much as possible.
To keep your Invisalign clean, simply brush your aligners once or twice a day. Clean your aligner the same way you brush your teeth, with a little bit of toothpaste and a toothbrush. Once or twice a week, soak your aligner in either the Invisalign Cleaning Crystals, Retainer Brite, or denture cleaner. Avoid a colored denture cleaner because it may stain or color your aligners. By soaking them, it keeps the aligners looking clear while also sanitizing them.